This tomb, seen along the roadside in Israel, reminds me of another tomb where God testified regarding eternal blessing and renewal.

Monday, September 14, 2009

Fall: Preparing to Claim the Growth of Another Year


I continue to marvel at the order of this world. September rolled around, and automatically the days became cooler, the air a bit clearer, and my energy levels began to rebound. Amazing!

I once read that everyone has a cycle of energy and efficiency, a time when the stars align (not literally), resulting in greater productivity, more emotional stability, even happiness. Somewhere back in the day, I discovered that my clock reads “fall.” I am unsure whether I developed this rhythm from so many years returning to school--as a child, in college, then as a mother and a teacher--or whether I liked school because it rolled around every year at the time when I felt the best, but I love it. I love the colors, the air, the temperatures, Longhorn football,--and seeing my boys (all four) love Longhorn football--sweaters, boots, and fires in the fireplaces. Okay, so now I am into a Texas winter, but I like it all.

Come before Winter has blessed my fall several times. We were in Italy and Germany and Russia in the falls of 02, 05, and 07; last fall we hosted our first stateside renewal in Texas. Three October trips to Siberia rank high on my list, not to mention my favorite fall experiences—three fall vacations with my hubby.

A part of me thinks that's odd—rather out-of-sync, likely fall, that is. I mean, really, things begin to die in fall, don’t they? Or is it just shedding the past year’s growth in preparation for the promise of what’s to come? Isn't it all part of renewal?

I get excited when I think about what God might have in mind for 2010. My calendar is already marked with things I am praying occur: My youngest will leave (Lord willing) for a six-month mission to Swaziland in January. Shane and Kara will be revving up their ministries in Mexia, and Brent just might put the entirety of the CPA exam behind him in 2010—hope, hope! Come before Winter will be traveling to Paraguay in March and to Thailand in June. Our younger protégé teachers, Brooke Hollingsworth and Arlene Kasselman will take over all the lead teaching in Thailand, and Jeanene and I will turn our sights toward developing what we hope becomes an advanced seminar—a pilgrimage, of sorts.

As last year’s growth prepares to drop off, I am hopeful that something about it looks half as beautiful to others as the fall leaves look to me. I am feeling a sense of fulfillment, a testimony from within that declares that God has not only carried me through another year but that somehow, He has allowed me to participate with Him in His Work. And I am looking forward to 2010 and what will surely emerge, clearly autographed as the sanctified art of YHWH.

4 comments:

Liz Crittenden said...

"Forgetting what is behind and pressing forward"....
I like your Fall analogy (as long as YOU don't FALL!!)
Can't believe y'all are going to Paraguay while Amy is in the States! I have so looked forward to her being able to attend CBW. Guess this isn't the time God has.
Looking forward to seeing you this coming week in Abilene.
Blessings, friend!

songbirdintl said...

I love this post! It encourages and renews me just reading it. And yes, your life and ministry and work are beautiful just like the leaves of Fall! I just finished a leaf project with Chase and now I am even more aware of the trees and their sway and the steady change in color. I love thinking of this as a time of growth! Thank you dear friend! I love and miss you!

Liz Fredrichs said...

I too love the fall season best. It is a bridge between the fullness of summer; here in the North that is abundant sun, green, warmth that lasts only 12 weeks. (Really, it's short) and the stark reality of winter. The fall brings color, maturity, weaning us from the long, sun-filled days into the ever shortening days of winter. Reminding us nothing of this world lasts forever. Just like you Karen, a bridge to other believers around the world. Spiritually mature, always growing. Love you, God Bless!

Karen Alexander said...

I am so blessed by all of you; thanks for leaving a note. Liz C, it was good to see you; hope your trip back to Bosnia (with J) has proven a blessing of its own kind. Jana, LOVE that picture. Jana and Liz F, you guys have been ON MY MIND SO MUCH the past week; it is sweet to see that you were thinking of me, too. LOVE you both so much!